Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

Meaty Nuggets



Idaho, here I come

First, a comment on a pet topic of mine that I've discussed before: Today, the Raiders announced the firing of offensive coordinator Tom Walsh, perhaps the first firing that could be predicted the very second the hire was made. Walsh, of course, spend the last 12 years out of the NFL, most recently running a bed-and-breakfast and serving as the mayor of Swan Valley, Idaho. His game-planning could be called, at worst, "retarded," and at best ... well ... "retarded." Granted, he didn't have a lot to work with, but he did nothing to cater to the strengths of his team - a mobile quarterback, a workhorse running back who was an outstanding receiver, and one of the 3 best receivers out there (while still in his physical prime).

Let's be completely clear: anyone who supported or signed off on the hiring of Walsh should be fired and never re-hired in the NFL again. That is not an overstatement. This was the single dumbest hiring ever in the NFL, if not in the history of sport. OK, that could possibly be an overstatement. I haven't reviewed every hire ever. Nonetheless, the NFL is without question a continuously-evolving league. Coaches constantly are mimicking the latest successful schemes, and coming up with new and inventive ways of succeeding. To hire a coach that has been out of the league for over a decade (and what's more, a coach that wasn't especially successful in his first go round) is indefensible.

One interesting point is that the above criticism can be used to describe another NFL coaching hire that hasn't taken much heat. Another coach that had been out of the game for 12 years. A coach who in his second stint has gone 20-23 despite working for an owner with a bottomless checkbook. Joe Gibbs. I'll go on the record to say that the hire of Joe Gibbs was an awful decision. Though, we shouldn't be too surprised that Daniel Snyder hired the wrong (ball)coach.

April 24, 2004, a day that will live in (Giants) infamy?

Everyone knows the story. San Diego drafts Eli. Eli refuses to go to the beach. The Giants get Eli in return for Philip Rivers, a 3rd round pick in 04, and a first and fifth in 05. Those picks turn out to be Shawn Merriman, Nate Kaeding, and Nick Hardwick (an all-rookie team pick and the current starting center). The Chargers are 30-13 since that day. The Giants are 23-20.

These past few weeks are the first that I've really worried about Eli. In his first year, I expected nothing of him, and his flair for the dramatic was encouraging. In his second year, he started strong but faded down the stretch. I was ok with that, as I thought the third year was the breakout year. Joe Montana broke out in his third year. Same for Brett Favre and Steve McNair. Troy Aikman didn't really improve until his fourth year. So I thought 2006 was it. But I'm officially worried, because the major problem with Eli - his accuracy - might be something that just can't be taught.

Five for Debating

I'm interested in getting everyone's take on one question - who are the top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL today? I'll post mine in the comments. You will suffer a 1 week comment ban for either of two infractions: (a) failure to list Peyton Manning at #1, or (b) listing Michael Vick anywhere in the top 50. No, that zero was not a typo.

Comments:
I just went through the NFL teams and listed the QBs I'd consider for Top 5 (not including first-year starters like Tony Romo and Philip Rivers who I just haven't seen enough of yet) and came up with these six:

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck and Drew Brees. If I need to drop one, I drop Hasselbeck.

And agreed -- if I were a Giants fan I'd be worried about Manning, too. I just don't think he has "it" to be a great one. I think he can have a long career in the NFL, but he's not a top echelon guy.
 
My top 5 (if I had to choose for them to win a game tomorrow):

1. Manning
2. Palmer
3. Brees
4. Brady
5. Bulger

McNabb doesn't complete a high enough percentage to make my top 5. He'd be right outside of the top 5 (along with Philip Rivers, who will be very good). I don't count Romo in the rankings - he gets an incomplete.

Bulger is wildly underrated, presumably due to playing in a fairly small market, on a non-scandalous team. If he were the QB of the Giants (a boy can dream), he'd be one of the league's major stars.
 
One other thing that I've been meaning to comment on: The stupid "starters don't lose their job to injury" rule. Damon Huard came on in relief of Trent Green in the first game of the season. In the 8.5 games he plays, he has a QB rating of 97.6. Prorated over 16 games, he's on pace for 3400+ yards, 21 TDs and 2 INTs. He goes 5-3 in his 8 starts. Then, as soon as Trent Green comes back, he's immediately pulled.

For his part, Green has a 66 QB rating. Prorated over 16 games, his output would be 2,260 yards, 0 TDs, and 13 INTs.

I'm not saying that Huard's better than Green. He's likely not. I'm also not saying that replacing Huard when Green got healthy was the wrong call. It may have been correct. What I am saying is that a coach telling the media a month before Green was to get healthy that Green would start as soon as he came back (as the brilliant Herm Edwards did) is flat wrong. You put the player out who has the best chance of winning the game. Following archaic rules to determine the starter is dumb.

That rule should have gone the way of Wally Pipp.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?