Wednesday, November 07, 2007

 

Melrose: I meant mullet, not wallet

ESPN's Barry Melrose has apologized for his recent comment about the Newark hockey arena -- "Don't go outside if you have a wallet or anything else, because the area around the arena is just horrible" -- a comment that, by Jersey insult standards, is pretty mild. While I do appreciate Mayor Cory Booker sticking up for his city, Melrose might have been justified if he had indeed been pickpocketed or harassed in Newark. I mean, it happens. But he never even went to the arena, let alone to the area outside it.
In retaliation, I'm trying to come up with an insult to Melrose's hometown, which, according to Wikipedia, is Kelvington, Saskatchewan, a thriving metropolis of nearly 900 hearty souls that I clearly have never visited. But I hear the women there don't shave their armpits, and their boots smell like apple cider vinegar. Oh, and I wouldn't walk down the street there if your hat has antlers because somebody might shoot you.
I'll apologize tomorrow.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I worked across the street from the site of the new Pru Center for 2 years and I never felt comfortable in Newark after dark. The Pru Center isn't in the worst neighborhood of Newark, but it's not a good area either (i.e., the Ironbound). I live in Hoboken and I'm still only a PATH ride away from the Prudential Center. Still, the chances of me risking my hide to watch the crappy Devils play are slim to none. As a contrast, the new Red Bulls Stadium in Harrison is right across the river from Pru and I'd feel fine hopping a PATH train to one of those games after dark.

Booker's slogan should be "C'mon - at least we're not Camden (or Paterson)"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?