Thursday, June 05, 2008

 

Sam Cassell Has Gotta be an Alien

I haven’t watched a ton of the NBA playoffs, but lack of knowledge has never stopped me before, so here goes a breakdown of the NBA Playoffs between the Celtics and Lakers, which is ABC’s dream and has prompted every sports news agency to unload old photos of big men in short shorts.

Point Guard: Rajon Rondo, Celtics vs. Derek Fisher, Lakers
Fisher is both an excellent playoff performer and a strong defender. He should give Rondo problems in terms of disrupting set plays but generally lacks the speed to stay in front of Rondo on drives. Look for the Celtics to go to Paul Pierce to bring the ball up the floor in crucial situations.
Advantage: Lakers

Shooting Guard: Ray Allen, Celtics vs. Kobe Bryant, Lakers
This is the major issue for the Celtics. Kobe is a lockdown (if sometimes inconsistent) defender who can completely shut down Allen, while Allen’s defensive prime is behind him (and it wasn’t that prime to begin with). Expect to see some limited Allen and a lot of James Posey in this series.
Advantage: Lakers

Small Forward: Paul Pierce, Celtics vs. Vladimir Radmanovic, Lakers
To be honest, I don’t really know much about Radmonovic. I know he can shoot pretty well but that’s about it. The fact alone favors Pierce, who I still think should be the Celts’ No. 1 option on offense and should be able to control this matchup. I do think, however, the Lakers will go big for much of this series (meaning good minutes for Luke Walton) just so the Celts can’t put Pierce on Kobe and then play Allen on either Radmonovic (despite the height disparity) or Sasha Vujacic.
Advantage: Celtics

Power Forward: Kevin Garnett, Celtics vs. Lamar Odom, Lakers
Odom is a very versatile performer but doesn’t do much defensively that should bother Garnett, while Garnett should be able to dominate the low post. The Lakers were very impressive against the Spurs but Tim Duncan had a big series. And while Garnett is not the offensive performer Duncan is, he’s still pretty good.
Advantage: Celtics

Center: Kedrick Perkins, Celtics vs. Pau Gasol, Lakers
Kendrick is a rebounding, defensive role player; Gasol is a scoring, solid No. 2 option. I expect Gasol to do his best to pull Perkins away from the hoop, hoping to take advantage of Gasol’s versatility and open up the lane for Kobe. The Lakers will be best if Garnett is the only one in the middle to man Kobe’s drives (and thus rack up early fouls).
Advantage: Lakers

Bench: Bunch of Celtics guys vs. Bunch of Lakers guys
The Lakers bench has been the more celebrated but the Celtics isn’t bad and boasts the most alien-looking guy in this series in Sam Cassell. Still, between Walton and Ronny Turiaf, the Lakers ability to go big — and with Vujacic, to bring in a shooter — gives them the edge here.
Advantage: Lakers

I could go into coaches but that ruins what we have going here, which 4 edges for the Lakers and 2 for the Celtics. It fits perfectly into a prediction: Lakers 4, Celtics 2. All that said, I’ll be rooting for the Celts so I hope I’m wrong.

Comments:
It's a little disturbing that 2 of the 3 writers for this "Sports" blog have boasted in recent posts of the fact they aren't actually watching sports.

I thought that once your married and own a house watching sporting events on TV is the only thing you can afford to do regularly.

Anyway, I'm excited for this series. Should be a tight one.

I'm hoping to see Garnett, in the midst of his pregame rant around the court, walk up to Ronnie Turiaf, karate punch him in the chest and tear out his heart a-la Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber.
 
Dude -- I think Turiaf's heart is weak enough as it is. All Garnett really needs to do is walk up behind him and scare him.

And yeah, I've been bad with my NBA watching -- it is pretty sad. And also evident considering nothing I wrote is even close to happening yet. The Celtics defense has been great and Rondo was incredible in Game 2 (got overshadowed a bit by Leon Powe -- and there's something I never thought I'd write).

If the Celts can just take 1 of 3 in LA they'll be in great shape. By my count, they're 13-1 at home in the playoffs this year.
 
Yeah, that was probably a little harsh.

If Rondo had any kind of consistent shot the Celtics would be unstoppable. I though the Lakers did a good job with using Kobe to cover him, so he could basically just roam and double anyone.

What a weird game last night.
 
I just re-read my post again -- it's becoming more and more laughable as this series goes on. Last night's game was incredible. I wasn't surprised the Celtics came back (being up 24 points in the NBA is like being by 9 points in the NFL; you're in control but the other team doesn't need too much to come back), but it was impressive to expend the energy to draw even and then have the reserves (not referring to Brian Scalabrine) to push past the Lakers and take the game.

I think my biggest miscue was Ray Allen. Not only did he play every minute last night, he looks more lively than I've seen him since UConn. He had a couple of great drives last night -- including the one past Vujacic to seal the game (and where was the help defense on that!!!).

The Lakers could summon some pride to push this back to Boston (I'd say it's 50-50 but, as demonstrated, what the hell do I know), but there's no way they'll win two in Boston.

Odd interesting stat I heard this morning -- the Lakers were undefeated at Staples Center this postseason before last night's loss. I hadn't realized that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?