Tuesday, June 12, 2007

 

Same rules, new tournament

That's right golf fans -- It's time for the Sportsmeat U.S. Open Golf Pride Point Showdown

Pick five players from this week's field at Oakmont and watch intently as they work toward piling up Pride Points on your behalf. Points will be determined by order of finish, using the same breakdown we used for the Masters:
1st place = 100 points
2nd = 70
3rd = 55
4 = 45
5 = 35
6 = 30
7 = 25
8 = 20
9 = 15
10 = 10
11-16 = 5
17-25 = 1
25-MC = nada.

Picks are due before the all-star first group of Ken Duke, Sam Walker, and Johnson Wagner tees off at 7 a.m. EDT Thursday. Happy picking. By the way, the picture above is of Forrest Fezler, '74 U.S. Open runner-up who changed into shorts between the 71st and 72nd holes to challenge what he thought was a USGA rule. Turns out only the PGA Tour barred shorts -- the USGA didn't care. They were probably thrilled to see those groovy plaid slacks tucked into his golf bag.

Comments:
For the Masters pool, I tried to catch lightning in a bottle with such losers as Chris DiMarco and Chaz Howell 3. I was the only contestant who didn't pick tiger.

For the Open, screw darkhorses. I'm going with the thoroughbreds:

Tiger
Els
Furyk
Vijay
Goosen
 
You may remember me from such Pride Point picks as "Ohio State over Florida in a blowout," and "Zach Johnson to win the Masters? Why not."

For the U.S. Open, I'll be banking on Tiger, Phil, Vijay, Luke Donald, and Padraig Harrington.
 
Do I need to add a picture as well?

Tiger, Furyk, Scott, Goosen, Sabbatini

Any body else notice the Phil, Furyk, Scott pairing for day 1 & 2? ESPN sure "got lucky" with that random draw.
 
That pairing is kinda ridiculous, but I don't think they even pretend these things are random draw. I think they have a guy who makes up the pairings, partly with t.v. and spectator followings in mind. So for example, Tiger and Phil are usually spaced out so one goes out early Thursday, the other late, and reversed on Friday. Olazabal and Sergio are playing together, and I think Seve and Olazabal were paired together in past years. The pairing dude also has a sense of humor, matching up hotheads with easy-going guys or grouping together players who've had near misses at majors.
 
AS I'm sure some of you know, I'm a huge golf fan. Several of you have even had the privilege of playing with me. So these picks reflect my obvious expertise:

Tiger
Goosen
Furyk
Sean O'Hair
Els
 
What we need is pairing of Sabbatini, Woods and John Daly. One of them has to explode, throw in a few icy stares, a few icy cold beers for Daly and we got fireworks. Who do I bribe at the USGA to make this happen?

As to Mickelson, Furyk and Scott, the luster will wear off when Phil pulls out around hole No. 11.

Anyway, my picks are
Furyk
Goosen
Harrington
Stricker
Woods
 
I'm not much of a golf aficionado either, so my friend bodog recommended the following:
Woods
Mickelson
Singh
Els
Furyk
 
Forgot to put this in (again) but I haven't looked at the boards yet. Was about to when I realized I didn't get my picks in. So I may look real dumb in a second (as opposed to ...)

Tiger, Goosen, Donald, Els, Ogilvy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?