Wednesday, April 25, 2007

 

How to host a talk radio program

Rule No. 146: When all else fails, start asking yourself questions.

Chris “Mad Dog” Russo is a master of the self-Q&A, and apparently it’s not just an on-air thing. In talking about the Mike and the Mad Dog Show’s AM drive-time duty, filling in for the deposed Don Imus, he told The New Yorker’s Nick Paumgarten:
“We’re basically flying by the seat of our pants. This week, I don’t have to worry about preparing, because all I have to do is make sure I know what’s going on with Virginia Tech. I read the Times. I make sure I know what’s cooking. Do I know about the Attorney General? No, I do not. Would I have to know, if I was doing this show regularly? I don’t know if I would. . . . People don’t wanna hear me do that stuff anyway. They wanna hear me do sports. They wanna hear Russo be Russo.”

He's right, of course. Though I like the show, hearing Mike and the Dog break down the "Va-tech" tragedy made me cringe about three times per minute. This morning, they were back on sports, talking about the Yankees. Francesa’s gem of the day: The Yanks need Bernie. NEED him. Gotta have “51.” Apparently, having seven former all-stars in the field and another at DH is not enough. Why do the Yankees need Bernie? The bench is weak. Miguel Cairo is “O-for-the season” (Francesa neglected to mention he only has eight plate appearances, two of which were walks); Mientkiewicz has been miserable. Melky’s not hitting.

The Yankees lead the league in runs scored, batting average, and home runs. They have a lineup that makes bench strength completely irrelevant. But bringing back a beloved, over-the-hill fifth outfielder is going to lead them to the promised land. Brilliant. So I ask myself, why does everyone hate the Yankees? Oh, right.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?