Thursday, March 08, 2007

 

Another ladleful of Budds' Bouillabaisse

A few things from the sporting world have been derailing my train of thought, so I'm throwing them out here to give you, the 'Meat nation village trio, a chance to comment. In no particular order...

The SI cover story on climate change and sports is a little off topic, I think. I'm certainly aware of the problems and I care about what's happening to our planet. Do I care because I want future generations to be able to ski and play golf and watch day games at Wrigley without wearing SPF 90? Well, sure, but those things are relatively far down the list. Apparently, SI thinks that if global warming had started earlier, Willie Mays wouldn't have made his iconic over-the-shoulder catch. If that's going to make you go out and buy a hybrid car, it's a good thing for the environment but a sad statement on priorities.

If there's one thing I hate, it's sports radio discussions of unwritten rules. If athletes go out of their way to break every written rule in the book -- and in every sport, from polo to poker to ping pong -- why are people so suprised when people break the "unwritten" ones (and a certain Carolinian's nose)? For the record, there are surely things I hate more than sports radio discussions of unwritten rules, including itchy boxer shorts, the BeeGees, and radio ads for the international star registry.

Duke lacrosse is ranked No. 1 in the country, which is impressive considering the year those players have had off the field, but they've had some help: Johns Hopkins, Virginia, Syracuse, and Princeton, the only teams to win NCAA titles in the last 15 years, each lost one of its first two games. Bucknell fans take note: The Bison are 4-0 and creeping up the charts, No. 17 at last check.

Comments:
Good point on unwritten rules, but if sports are a reason for changing our views on the environmnet, so be it. Obviously not everyone has yet to buy a hybrid car (including yours trully) or watch An Inconvenient Truth, but I have a feeling that is what it takes to get across to a portion of the population (especially the WWE or NASCAR viewing population). As sad as it may seem, I do feel like sport has been partially responsible for resolving some racial issues in America.

Another question...would you consider not being a 'jet setta' an unwritten rule of football? I can't believe this blog has yet to comment on Tom Brady's promiscuity.
 
Agreed on the SI cover story. My inital reaction (other than thinking that Dontrelle Willis' pants are hiked up to Shinjo level on the cover) was, 'What the hell is SI doing?' But I guess give them credit for trying to creatively tackle a timely topic, and also some of the stuff in there was kind of interesting. The Willie Mays thing, however, was stupid.

Moving on, I hate the unwritten rules thing, too. I think it's something people like to bring up to defend indefensible actions (though I really don't think Henderson meant any harm to Hansborough other than to foul him, if that makes sense).

Speaking of indefensible, how about Simon trying to decapitate that Ranger guy yesterday (Ok, I don't follow much hockey and can't remember the dude who got slashed and yes, I'm too lazy to look it up). What the hell is wrong with some people? The NHL needs to come down hard on Simon -- I'd suspend him for a calendar year, eligible to return March 9, 2008.

As to Duke, that is still a very talented lacrosse team. Given, they probably didn't have the best recruiting class last year, but they also didn't lose too many seniors for a team that was the NCAA runner-up in 2005 and was the overwhelming favorite to win the title in 2006. That said, there's a long way to go.

Final note: I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that 25 percent of the starting running backs in the NFL have turned over -- either retired (Tiki) or left for a different team. And often not for much. I know running backs are dependent on their offensive lines, but the Jets proved last year that you can't turn an average back into a superstar (the Broncos the exception). Yet the Jets get Thomas Jones for dropping down 25 places in the second round? And the McGahee one is a real head scratcher for me. The Bills draft this guy in round 1, let him wait a year to rehab and then let him go 3 years later for nothing higher than a third rounder? Given, I could have an inflated opinion of McGahee because he turns into Gale Sayers against the Jets, but still ... If this is the NFL logic on running backs, the Browns must think Adrian Peterson is going to be Jim Brown if they draft him #3 overall.
 
I too am baffled about the McGahee thing and the running back shuffle. My sense was that running plays and screen passes to backs have been growing as a portion of NFL offense in the last few years (completely unscientific observation), and even if RBs don't last long, having a good one, particularly a versatile one, can be huge. Look at the role of Westbrook after McNabb went down. Markets go in cycles, and I think eventually the relative value of the RB will rebound. I just hope the Eagles have two or three good backs under long-term contracts when that happens.
 
Snoop did (unwittingly) bring up a good point and I haven't read the SI article (so they may say this). But doesn't car racing (NASCAR et al) contribute to global warming by simply driving around in a circle for the fun of it? Should teammates start carpooling and using an HOV lane? Would anyone what 15 Prius' lap a track at 65 mph?

The RB thing is amazing. I was emailing with my Fantasy Football league wondering what to take. The last few years has been the dawn of the RB by committee (virtually handcuffing every FFL owner on a weekly basis) but just giving away top name guys still in their prime is unheard of. With the new RBs at new teams with no idea how they will be used - it should make for crazy drafts. I realize that I am measuring the real world with a fanatasy team but that is one of the factors that has made the NFL so popular in the US.
 
ej - I missed my opportunity to talk hockey (am I the only one who still watches?)...

Completely agree on the Simon call. I think if the Ranger was more severely hurt (ala the McSorley debacle), then this would have been a half season suspension. The 25 game (a record) suspension was merely to ensure that Simon can't come back in the playoffs. Honestly, you would have to commit mass murder by removing your skate and openly slashing people's throats to get a year suspension in hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I love the violence in hockey. I'm not asking for it to go away but there are some things you shouldn't be allowed to do. Simon has full control of his stick and knew he was going for the face. I'd be ok if he went for the ribs or the shins but the face and knees are off limits. Like when Brashear got clubbed in the head.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?