Friday, February 02, 2007

 

Serena Williams' Punchout

Budds and I were emailing recently (and by recently, I mean today) when the topic came up of how the sports world would fare in a fight with Serena Williams. Budds' supposition is that Serena could take any female athlete of the non-boxing variety (ie, not Laila Ali). I think he's right, so then I thought of what men she could take. Certainly me, but that's not much of an accomplishment. Probably most kickers. Channing Frye? Maybe. Peter McNeeley? Almost definitely. But the most interesting test is golf.

Here's what we came up with:
Tiger. She'd stand a fighting chance (so to speak)
Mickelson. While I think Mickelson could take her out with a man boob to the chin, Budds thinks this would be largely one-sided in Serena's favor.
Ernie. Probably too soft.
Vijay. Budds thinks Singh's lankiness could work against him, but he is pretty nasty and would likely fight dirty.
Davis Love III. This would get ugly. You could give Davis his three-wood and he'd still get handled.
John Daly. Budds made a good point here. Daly would probably have the upper hand off the bat, but then run short of breath.

Anyway, who else do you think could take Serena? Or vice versa?

Comments:
She would destroy Carmelo Anthony.
 
When i look up serena williams on this newfound thing called google, it says she is 5'10" and 150 lbs. I say bullshit. EJ, do you remember when we saw her at the SI SportMAN of the Year? I really can't think of anyone in the PGA (other than Michelle Wie) that could beat her in a boxing match, john daly included. I don't even think Joe Frazier (who sat in front of us at the SI event) could have taken her.
 
I do remember that, and she was huge -- not fat, but just a big, strong human being. And yes, Serena is 150 in the same way that every 5-9 college basketball player is listed at 6-1.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?