Thursday, January 18, 2007

 

It was assault, but it was delicious

When I was in middle school, my favorite teacher was an immature, somewhat crass, and absolutely hilarious English teacher (we’ll call him Mr. F) who referred to going to the bathroom, in the secondary variety, as “baking a cake.” Fortunately for Alexander Martinez, who like me recently celebrated his 30th birthday, when Kwame Brown threw a cake on him, outside a Hermosa Beach nightclub, it was an actual birthday cake, not a cake of Mr. F’s variety. But still, a cake? To paraphrase Charles Barkley, some guy throws a cake at me? It’s on. Of course, if that guy is 6’ 11” and he’s surrounded by other guys of similar stature, it’s off. Way off. And I’m taking my shirt off, grabbing a carton of milk, and making the most of a bad situation. But that’s just me.

And in a second item, also blatantly borrowed from Mike and Mike from this morning's drive in, name the four quarterbacks who have beaten another quarterback head-to-head three times in NFL playoff games (hint: all happened in the 80s and 90s).

Comments:
I'll go with:

John Elway over Bernie Kosar
Troy Aikman over Brett Favre
Brett Favre over Steve Young
Jim Kelly over Warren Moon

though I wouldn't be surprised if Boomer Esiason or Phil Simms were in there somewhere
 
That's a great question, one that is very difficult. I actually have pretty much the same guesses as EJ - Elway over Kosar and Aikman over Favre were the first two that came to mind. Then I figured it had to be Favre over someone, and Young is the best guess. I thought about Kelly over Moon as well. Montana must have beaten someone 3 times. Simms?

I feel like at least one or two answers have to be common first round defeats over someone like Dave Krieg or Jim Everett or someone.

Wait! Marino has to be on the losing end of one of these. But who'd he lose to? Elway? Dang, this is getting to me. I'm going to go ahead and cheat.
 
E.J. is right on all accounts except Moon. Elway was 3-0 vs. Kosar, Aikman was 3-0 vs. Favre, Favre was 3-1 vs. Young, and Kelly was 3-0 vs. ... a little help from Big Thunder? ... Dan Marino.

Nice work. Have yourselves a chunk of cake from Alex's jacket.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?