Wednesday, January 31, 2007

 

Having a Ball


When I was a sophomore in high school, the mighty Wyomissing Spartan soccer team was pretty decent. They made it into the state playoffs, and my friends and I traveled to some nondescript burg to watch them play on a frigid late fall Pennsylvania afternoon. The team was led by a senior midfielder named Joel Torcolini. He was extremely intense during games, with a temper that could really set him off. During the game, Rory Caherly, a freshman on the JV team, was working the whole sideline ball-tracker-downer job.

As the second half drew near a close, the Spartans found themselves down a goal and scrambling. Everyone was tense and pressing, and Torcolini had already gotten into a few scuffles with the opposing team. As the clock continued to wind down, the opposing team knocked a ball out of bounds on the sideline right in front of where I was sitting. Torcolini sprinted to the spot to take the throw-in. As he approached the spot, someone near the sideline passed the original ball to Torcolini, while Caherly simultaneously tossed an extra ball that he was carrying. Rather than just toss the second ball aside, you could see the anger flash over Torcolini's face. He caught the second ball, and punted it as hard as he possibly could away from the field. The only problem was that Caherly's face -- approximately 5 feet from Torcolini's foot -- got in the way. The sight of the ball rocketing off Joel's foot and into Rory's face (and consequently back into the field of play) is one that I won't soon forget. Nor will I forget the collective gasp from the crowd. It was truly shocking, and I felt rather bad that I was the only spectator that was overcome by a 5 minute long giggling fit as a result of the play. Once I saw the dual streams of blood gushing from Rory's nose, I stopped giggling. A bit.

Anyhow, that cherished memory ties nicely into this epic clip, brilliantly entitled, "35 Balls to the face in 32 seconds." Enjoy.


Comments:
Brilliant! Two observations:
-Why was there a ball at that wedding?
-It's really hard to hit yourself in the face with a golf shot. I remember heeling one between my legs when I was a youngin, and my buddy Jeff drilled one off a railroad tie and had to duck out of the way, but I've never seen someone hit themselves in the face. Well done.
 
This doesn't have anything to do with this post but I just read an article which states the NFL rules on watching the Super Bowl with a group. The legalese states:

"But the NFL objected to the church's plans to use a projector to show the game, saying the law limits it to one TV no bigger than 55 inches."

1. The NFL is banning a church from showing the game (after they said that they wouldn't charge a fee to watch).
2. With the advent of large screen TVs, aren't a good portion of the people watching the SB breaking this law. I have a 56in TV. If I invite friends over, can I go to jail? Or if you set up 3 TVs in your living room and invite friends over, is that against the law? This seems crazy especially since it's on regular TV (i.e. not PPV).

Can I get an Amen from the congregation?
 
Y.A., please tell me that you planned your brilliant word play, using the "advent" of big screens in a comment about a church.

I could put all the TVs in my house together and still not come up with a 55 inch screen, so I'm in full compliance. But I see your point here. Regardless of screen size, this is on regular old network TV, beamed through the air. How can they make rules about how you watch it? And since when is the NFL a legislative branch of government? I'm confused. I need to read what you're talking about.
 
Great story. I play on a soccer team with Torcolini right now in a major city in the western U.S., and I'm glad to report he's mellowed substantially with age. I think he's 32 now, but occasionally you can see that competitive fire reignite. Thanks for sharing, now I have something to rib him about at games.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?