Thursday, October 12, 2006

 

Sportsmeat Poetry Corner


Alright folks, gather round. Wear your floppy berets and thick black horn-rimmed glasses. Smoke your cigarettes with one of them long cigarette holder things. Take a sharpie and draw in a little soul patch / flavor saver. Its time for Sportsmeat Poetry Corner!

My topic today is one that has inspired most of the great poets and songwriters through the generations - cortisone shots. When reading about one of the latest athletes that was jonesing for the sweet, sweet cortisone-juice, I was struck by the magical abilities of the drug. Its a treatment for everything. Runny nose? Cortisone. Broken leg? Cortisone. Herpes? Cortisone. But I ain't administering the shot.

So please be kind for the world premier of "Cortisone" by BT (sung to the tune of "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon):


When I think back to all the injuries I had in high school
Its a wonder I can walk at all
And though my lack of healthiness hasn’t hurt me none
Sometimes I still crash into the outfield wall

Cortisone!
You give me the nice reduced inflammation
You give me the speedy healing process
You make me think I can go out there and play, oh yeah
I’ve got a nice big needle
I like to take multiple injections
So doctor don’t take my cortisone away

If you took all the pains I had when I was younger
Brought them all together for one night
I know they’d never match my f*cking aching shoulder
Contrary to JJ Walker, its not dynomite


Cortisone!
You give me the nice reduced inflammation
You give me the speedy healing process
You make me think I can go out there and play, oh yeah
I’ve got a nice big needle
I like to take multiple injections
So doctor don’t take my cortisone away

Doctor don’t take my cortisone
Doctor don’t take my cortisone
Doctor don’t take my cortisone away...

(Please note that the above picture is of a person with a dirty looking arm getting a shot for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, of all things. It truly is the wonder drug!)

*waiting for the finger-snapping to die down*

OK, a couple sports-related notes for Thursday:

Comments:
I'm snapping the fingers of one hand while sparking a lighter and swaying to and fro with the other. I can say, without exaggeration, that this is one million times better than any S'meat radio poetry corner installment, minus the one where EJ wrote about Mike Tyson kicking a man in his "geriatric pole."

Notes on your notes:
Foamdust, Byron, Mrs. Met (then Miss Met), and I saw what was probably Cory Lidle's best game a few years back when he pitched a two-hit shutout of the Mets in Philly. That was one of the most enjoyable nights I've ever had at a baseball game.

Weaver certainly did everything that was asked of him, so you can't fault LaRussa. But every move he makes is shrouded by the "sucks in the postseason" label. Sometimes, you just lose because the other team is better.

I fully expected the UK link to be an Ashley Judd pic. I'd hate to see that dude when she's around.
 
Re: Ashley Judd -- look back at the picture. How do you think he broke his left arm??
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?