Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 

Words for the Weis

Charlie Weis bashing seems to be the media topic du jour, so I thought the following quotations might be instructive.

The first, from a John Feinstein interview on NPR the week before Notre Dame-Penn State game:
Feinstein: ... Charlie Weis, who believes that he is sort of a cross between Joe Paterno and Knute Rockne, helped revive Notre Dame last year. They went 9-3, went to a big bowl. They have a big favorite for the Heisman Trophy playing quarterback for them, in Brady Quinn, and they're playing at home, which is why I think they're the favorite in this game. And they will slide right into the number two slot in the rankings behind the winner of the Ohio State-Texas game should they win.
Host Steve Inskeep: I think you maybe just took a sly little shot there at Charlie Weis of Notre Dame.
Feinstein: Uh, just, I wasn't actually trying to be sly. I was trying to take a shot at him. The man's got an ego the size of the state of Indiana.

Second, a selection from a laudatory preseason college football preview by Barker Davis of The Washington Times:
"Every few years, a truly special talent emerges from the cliche-spouting, ex-jock masses who define the profession. From Paterno to Bowden, Holtz to Spurrier, Stoops to Carroll, these men quickly distinguish themselves from their peers in more than just the win column.
"There's an undeniable magnetism surrounding the true coaching greats, a complex concoction of intelligence, confidence, competence and passion that instantly confers authority and quietly commands attention.
"Notre Dame's second-year coach has precisely such a presence. And with such a compelling character at play among relative cardboard cutouts, one gets the feeling the Irish won't need leprechauns much longer."

My simple point is that there are plenty of writers willing to stroke Weis' ego, and this is a classic case of the media building up a sports figure and then gleefully hacking him back down. I'm not saying Feinstein is wrong -- in fact, he correctly noted that what Davis calls "magnetism" could easily be considered egotism. Weis could learn a lot from Paterno, who has historically downplayed his team's talent, even when the Lions did have a legitimate shot at a national championship. But at the same time college football writers need to get a little perspective and stop buying into their own hype. In college football, the press has more power in crowning a champion than it does in any other sport, and writers also hold the decisive votes for the Heisman. Presenting a level-headed view of the nation's top-ranked teams would go a long way toward showing that the writers deserve the influence they hold.

And yes, I listen to NPR. Reception for ESPN radio is not so good in central Jersey. Go ahead, laugh at me.

Comments:
No laughing here -- I listen to NPR, too. Other than that, I have to say kudos to Buddha. This was well thought-out, well-written and under-discussed. Very un-Sportsmeat-like all the way around.

I don't always know what to think of the college football debate. As to the writers' angles, I think a lot of it comes from having to produce seven days a week (often a story plus notes) when there is only one game played. It leads to way too much analysis.

I think you're right on that college football writers actually bear a greater responsibility in what they cover than pretty much anyone else. Yes, there's a poll for hoops, baseball, lacrosse, etc., but they don't really matter. The college football poll matters in a big way. Ask Auburn.
 
As an addendum to what I wrote 30 seconds ago, what's your guys take on a college football playoff? And, if you favor a playoff, how many teams should be involved.

I have to admit that I know a playoff is the best system (I think 8 teams, with an 11-game regular season schedule -- and yes, I know that's not going to happen). But I love the bowls. I love that you can't lose in the regular season. No regular season has bigger drama, and I always like it when the most deserving team over a full season wins -- not a team who comes in a hot streak.

Still, when you have three unbeaten teams from power conferences, or four one-loss teams, a poll is a lousy way to break a tie.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?