Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

Sports Barf


Apparently our Dear Leader learned his TV speaking techniques from Tom Jackson. He is absolutely choking the invisible man. "Ya see ... the Broncos defense ... they need to learn to stop being so partisan. They need to come together ... as one ... and support the war. If they don't ... it validates everything the terrorists stand for ... Yeah ... he he ... he he."

OK, so I don't do political commentary well.

I hate blog posts that say either of two things: (1) sorry I haven’t posted in forever, or (2) I can’t think of anything about which to write. So I hate half of this post. Sorry I haven’t posted in forever. However, there are a million things about which to write.

I’ll spit out a couple quick hits, perhaps to start a discussion:

• Ryan Howard is the NL MVP, whether the Phillies make the playoffs or lose every one of their remaining games. The only way he isn’t is if Albert Pujols hits a homer in every remaining game. So, I’d only give Pujols about a 15% chance of winning. No Met should be in the discussion.

• Ohio State is the best team in college football, and its not very close. They are much much better than Notre Dame.

• Nice to see Andy Roddick pack up his racket and leave before the fourth set began on Sunday. Don’t get me wrong, Federer’s great, but Roddick doesn’t have 1/10th the heart of his coach.

• DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket is simply the best thing ever. The ability to watch every single game cannot be understated. Among other things I noted on Sunday:


I want to write about 10 pages on the Manning Bowl, but I’ll leave it at this:

And that was just the quick hitters. Now onto the one topic I wanted to actually write about – last night’s game between the Raiders and Chargers. As 27-0 games go, this was one of the more entertaining ones. Again, since I’m running long, I’ll go with bullets:

Whew, I guess I’ll leave it like that. Eagles-Giants next week is big for both teams. Let’s get some chatter going!


Comments:
Sorry for the weird bullets. Can't figure them out. Maybe Buddha, our resident blog formatting guru, can fix.
 
The bullets look fine on my screen.
I know four guys who went to that Eagles-Giants game in '98, self included, and I also know four guys who still talk about Brad Maynard's unparalleled punting performance whenever they get the chance. The only thing better was the sarcastic clapping guy who stood up and flipped the finger to the Giants when they finally got a first down. Good times.
Two more things worth mentioning:
You can substitute "Redskins" for "Cowboys" and "Brunell" for "Bledsoe" and your argument still pretty much makes sense (though admittedly few prognosticators were putting the Skins in the Super Bowl).
And Brian Dawkins still scares the bejesus out of me. He may not be the scariest guy in the NFL, but I'd nominate him for top 10. When the Eagles won the NFC championship, his post-game interview was more intense than most "miked up" segments. They'd already won and he looked like he was still waiting to take someone's head off. In a good way, of course. Go Eagles.
 
Link to the Dawkins clip I mentioned.
 
Do you recall the outcome of that game? I had no idea, but looked it up. The matchup was the 3-7 Giants v. the 2-8 Eagles. The teams were fresh off 37-3 and 28-3 losses, respectively. The mighty Giants won 20-0.

I don't recall who punted for the Eagles, but he had a hell of a game - 7 punts at a 42.9 yd/punt average. Maynard wasn't as much of a boomer, but he pinned Bobby Hoying and the Eagles' offense back.

Hoying and Kent Graham combined to go 24-49, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, 274 total yards.

Gary Brown was probably the player of the game, almost cracking 100 yards rushing. And Joe Jurevicius was the top receiver, catching 2 balls for 65 yards and one unfortunate trip over the 10 yard line (with no defender in sight).

Other combined stats: 124 plays for 475 yards (3.8 yards per play). 3 fumbles. 3 interceptions. 9 sacks. 20 penalties. Hundreds of paper bag masks.
 
I've been thinking about the Raider game a bit more, and I'm realizing that I haven't done it justice. On the local sports radio today, I heard a Raider beat writer asked if he had ever seen a worse performance by an NFL team, and the answer was "no." And I don't disagree. Other games may have been as bad, but none were actually worse.

To give an idea of what was happening, at one point early in the second half with the Chargers up 13-0, they just shut it down. They called 9 straight runs up the middle. It wasn't because they were having success with those runs. They actually weren't. It was because the game - less than 2 scores apart - was over. There was absolutely no chance whatsoever that the Raiders were going to score 14 points on offense over the course of the next 1.5 quarters. So why risk a pass?

The really sad part was that the Raiders did nothing to adjust. You'd think that after 4, 5, or 6 sacks, they'd call less 7 step drops. Nope. You'd think they'd call some screens or quick slants. Nope. They threw two quick outs to Moss on back to back plays. Each were successful. They never called a play like that again. If I were a Raider fan, I would be absolutely furious.

I'm sure this all has nothing to do with the fact that their offensive coordinator hasn't coached football in 12 years, and has most recently been running a bed and breakfast in Idaho.

http://bandb.about.com/b/a/247435.htm
 
and speaking of TJ, at the end of this video, he asks the question that has long been on everyone's mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCpFOdVA3Wo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?