Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Prime Time

Come back here with my shoowwww

First of all, I realize that I probably shouldn't be blogging about trivial sports stuff on the anniversary of 9/11, but I was too lazy to post this last night. Apologies.

Moving on... Some of my best memories of college life are the lazy Sundays we spent watching football, capped by NFL Prime Time. With Berman rumblin' stumblin' bumblin' through the highlights and Tom Jackson choking the invisible man, the show was one of the great simple pleasures of sports on TV, right up there with hearing Walt "Clyde" Frazier say "percolate." But Prime Time was a victim of the Sunday Night-Monday Night shift, and now we have to get our highlights from Terry Bradshaw, who sounds like the homeless man outside the Hoboken PATH station, or Bob Costas. Costas is solid, of course, but he lacks that buddy-on-the-couch quality that Berman has perfected. And no, placing Costas in that enormous leather chair is not helping things.

Speaking of not helping things, the SNF intro with Pink? Yeah, not helping. I'll miss kickoff for the next 16 weeks if it means I can avoid seeing that again. How many singers turned NBC down before they said, "You know, I hear the kids like this 'Pink' lady." Maybe I'm just especially tough on my fellow Pennsylvanians, but I thought her 15 minutes were up.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?